Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Saying Goodbye is Never Easy

Today is my very last day in Germany. The time has flown by. I have been reflecting a lot on my experience here in Germany these past couple of days. I keep thinking back to this time last year when I wasn't even sure if I was going to participate in the international student teaching program. I am so thankful that I chose to come to Germany and I definitely think I would've regretted it if I had not come. I have learned so much about the world, about teaching, about love and friendship and even about myself.

Just two weeks ago my host family and I were complete strangers other than the little communication I had via Facebook with my host sister, Jule. Now I feel as if I have become a part of their family. I feel so comfortable here and always enjoy spending time with them. It's definitely going to be hard leaving them in about 15 hours. That just gives me a reason to come back and visit though! I've developed lifelong friendships with my host family, with our coordinator, Heike Armbrust (who is amazing by the way) and with the other students in our group.

This experience has obviously widened my perspective on the world. It has inspired me to want to travel to all of the places I do want to visit. Prior to this experience, I didn't think it was possible to go visit all of the places I want to see but now I know it is possible! This experience has given me confidence in being able to travel internationally but it has also given me confidence in myself in general. During this experience, we were thrown into situations where we had to adapt. We were thrown into a host family that we did not know. We were thrown into classrooms with students who spoke a different language than we did. We were thrown into another culture that was unfamiliar to us. I now can say with full confidence that I can handle any obstacle that is thrown my way. This experience has not only given me confidence in my ability to be a distinguished teacher but it has given me an immense amount of confidence in myself in general. It was the perfect ending to my college career and it has made me extremely excited to see what my future holds. I know this is only the beginning of life's adventures and I cannot wait to experience all of the others! I will be leaving Germany tomorrow at 3 A.M. with a heart full of love and gratitude. The memories I have made here in Europe will be something no one can ever take away from me. For now, tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment